The announcer waited until a hush of anticipation fell over the crowd. He grinned, his massive, pearly white teeth blinding in the glare of the stage lights; the woman in the front row caught the shine at the wrong angle and had to shield her eyes.
Behind them, the contestants stood. “Announcing… the winner…” the crowd sucked in a collective breath. He waited. “Of…” they sucked in more breath. He wondered if there was time for a commercial break mid-sentence. “the… Eat Boutique giveaway…”
In the back of the audience, one of the women couldn’t take it anymore and screamed. He ignored her. He was a professional. “Is…”
“Meredith!” He threw up his hands as the crowd roared its approval. “Here was Meredith’s winning submission, picked at random by our partners at Random.org where things happen… at random. Meredith wrote, ‘I love coffee! Thanks for such an awesome winter giveaway – love to make up fun cocktails for parties.’
“Meredith,” the host said smoothly and gravely. “You are the winner of the Cocktails Gift Box from Eat Boutique. Congratulations.”
Congratulations Meredith! Random.org selected #27 so we chose the 27th comment. Thank you to everyone who participated and thank you even more for all the outstanding name suggestions. I cannot wait to use them in future stories. And extra points to those who gave me FULL names- last names are the bane of my writer-ly existence.
And thank you to Maggie at Eat Boutique who we love and we’re so honored to be guest posters for her wonderful company. They make seriously awesome gift baskets and killer gifts. Thank you, Maggie!
But why are we talking about anything other than cookies? This is pretty much my refrain for the month of December. Whatever you are saying, I throw up a hand and interrupt and say, “That’s great and all but what about cookies.” Sometimes people are offended but mostly people get it. It’s December. Cookies.
Two Peas and their Pod gets it, clearly. As soon as I saw these simple little beauties on The Pinterest, I wanted them. White Chocolate Peppermint M&M Cookies. They’re bright and winsome and they taste of white chocolate and peppermint. Seriously, when you dive into the cookie abyss at full speed, you should start with SIMPLE and GOOD and PEPPERMINT. It’s only going to get better from here, I promise.
White Chocolate Peppermint M&M Cookies
3 Cups of All-Purpose Gold Medal flour
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
3/4 Teaspoon of baking soda
1 Cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Cup of light brown sugar
1/2 Cup of granulated sugar
2 Large eggs
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 Cup of white chocolate chips
1/2 Cup of crushed candy canes
1 Cup of White Chocolate Peppermint M&M’s
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugars together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until combined.
4. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
5. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
6. Stir in the white chocolate chips, candy canes, and M&M’s.
7. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center.
9. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes.
10. Transfer cookies to wire rack and cool completely.